Saturday, May 19, 2012

Jambalaya

A few years ago, I worked under a boss with Creole ancestry.  I have always enjoyed Creole and Cajun cuisine and I asked him if he had any great recipes to share.  He directed me to a couple of excellent cookbooks and gave me his family recipe for jambalaya.  I have made a few adaptations in the version you see here, but the flavor is very much the same as the original recipe he gave to me.  I can't take credit for this recipe but I won't mention his name on my blog, as I don't know how he may feel about that.  I hope you enjoy it as much as me and my family do.

[Updated:  June 17, 2018]



Jambalaya

1 – 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 t paprika
1-2 T olive oil
1 c onion, chopped 1
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ pound andouille sausage, sliced 2
2 14.5 oz cans stewed tomatoes
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth 2
1 cup long-grain rice 2
2 t dried celery flakes1
2 t thyme
1 t seasoned salt
½ t freshly ground black pepper
¼ t hot pepper sauce
1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined

It is easier if you do all chopping and cutting up prior to cooking.  Sprinkle cut up chicken with paprika, salt and pepper.  Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.  Sear chicken until no longer pink.  Remove chicken from pan and set aside.  Add sausage and sear until browned.  Remove from pan and set aside.  Add onion and garlic.  Sauté onion and garlic in meat drippings until tender.  If not enough drippings, add a little bit of olive oil.  Return to meat to skillet add tomatoes, broth, rice, celery flakes, thyme and hot pepper sauce.  Stir to combine all ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.  Stir in shrimp, cover and continue cooking about 5 minutes longer, or just until shrimp curls and turns pink.  Take off heat, removed lid and let cool slightly before serving, about 5 minutes.    
Serves 6 
 
Notes:  

1You can use 2 chopped celery ribs in place of the celery flakes.  I use celery flakes because I don’t care for celery . . . it is a texture issue.  You can also add 1 cup of chopped green bell pepper to the recipe.  If you use the fresh celery and/or bell pepper, sauté with the onion.

2 To make this recipe a little healthier, you can use low fat smoked turkey sausage, low sodium chicken broth and brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment